Punjabi tomato chicken curry
This Punjabi tomato chicken curry recipe is easy, and relatively quick – preparation and cooking taking about 40 minutes in all – this is a great way to prepare a deliciously tasty and healthy chicken dish. While the long list of ingredients may look daunting, believe me, this is a lot quicker and easier than you might think.Print this Recipe
- 1lb 10½ ounces / 750g chicken, skinned and cut into 1 inch pieces on the bone
- 3 tablespoons of ghee
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 3-4 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 3-4 cloves
- 3-4 black peppercorns
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons of garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons of red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- salt to taste
- 8¼ fluid ounces / 236ml / 1 cup of natural yogurt, whisked
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 16½ fluid ounces / ½ litre / 2 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of fresh coriander leaves, chopped, to garnish
In a non-stick pan, heat the ghee.
Add the bay leaves, both cardamoms, the cloves, peppercorns and the onions and sauté until the onions turn a golden colour.
Then, add the ginger paste, the garlic paste, the red chilli powder and the turmeric and sauté for a further two minutes.
Now, add the tomatoes and salt to taste, continue to sauté for a further 3-4 minutes.
Add the chicken pieces. Turn up to a high heat and cook until the chicken is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Add the whipped natural yoghurt and sauté for another five minutes until the pan is almost dry.
Then add the two cups of water and mix in well. Bring to the boil then cover and cook until the chicken is almost done.
Finally, sprinkle the garam masala over the contents of the pan and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Make sure the chicken is done.
Garnish with the chopped coriander leaves and serve with rice or naan bread.
RATE this RECIPE
Leave a Reply