While it’s true that self-indulgence is often the culinary force that guides our recipes at The Naughty Cook, we particularly love dishes that are both self-indulgent and healthy, a rare combination, but here is one of them, and a vegetarian one too. After all, why should meat have all the fun with a Bolognese sauce? My children can’t get enough of this, so it wins on every level. (For those looking for a meat version, try our slow cooker Bolognese.)Print this Recipe
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 3½ fluid ounces / 100ml red wine
- 1 tin of lentils, drained
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 heaped teaspoon of Marmite
- 1 teaspoon of light soft brown sugar
- 14 ounces / 400g spaghetti
- 3½ ounces / 100g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
Heat the oil in a large sauté pan before adding the onion, carrots, celery, garlic and oregano and fry for 10 minutes with the lid on.
Add the wine and cook for another 5 minutes before adding the lentils, chopped tomatoes, Marmite and sugar with a good amount of seasoning.
Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes. Cook your spaghetti according to packet instructions.
After the allotted time, remove the sauce from the heat, add half of the Parmesan and stir well to combine.
Serve with the spaghetti and the remainder of the Parmesan.Print this Recipe
Leave a Reply